Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Full Body


Today I did the front squat different, they have a short pause at the bottom of the rep.  I got the idea from Nate Schrader, he can be seen doing them at 3:55 in the video below;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJLWEzQ8uSU

(the first 2 sets at 95 were done normal style, the sets that followed were with the pause)
Front Squats
95x10
95x10
135x2
155x2
175x2
185x2
195x2
205x2

'Diane' 21-15-9 reps for time
Deadlifts - 225
Handstand Pushups
Time: 13:00

Glide Pad Ab Rollouts - 3xmax reps.........9, 7, 7

This day means a lot to me, Diane was one of the first workouts I ever saw on crossfit a few years back, at that time I remember thinking "no way in hell I could ever complete that".  The video was of Pat Barber and Annie Sakamoto, she had different weights but he blasted through the workout like nothing.  My time is nothing to be proud of but it was more that I go see a workout like this and say "ya I can do that".  When I first saw it my max deadlift was right around 225, and I couldn't do a single handstand pushup.  Today I was tempted to do sumo (stronger with that style) and use straps, I figured I might aswell do it the same way they did, so conventional and no straps.  The deads were actually easier than the handstand pushups, overall it was tough and my time looks slow but I am just happy I finally am able to do that workout.  The front squats were obviously much harder than how I normally do them with the pause, 205 was close to not standing all the way up but was surprised I was even able to do that much.

4 comments:

  1. thanks, feels nice to tackle a heavier crossfit workout without scaling....I remember you were happy when you completed fran at the required weight for the first time.

    I also just realized I've never tried that workout before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not just Fran. I did workout #2 that they used for the open as RXed. I got nowhere close to a competitive time - of course! - but this was the first time I looked at a competition workout and realized I could complete it. http://games.crossfit.com/compete/workouts/deadlift-push-box-jump. The fact I got a (relatively) low score didn't bother me; the point - like with your Diane - was to prove to myself it was possible. If anything, that one meant more to me because I could do it straight away, rather than scaling and gradually increasing the weight, as I did with Fran.

    And Nate Schrader? He's fucking ripped! Even his muscles have muscles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh right I do remember that workout, it was tough I did the same one. But you are right the main reason I am happy with diane isn't so much my time is just that I can complete it as rxd.

    heh ya he was at the games and did fairly well for one of the over 200 pound guys.

    ReplyDelete