Sunday, August 7, 2011

Cindy on Steroids

Kevin Simons
The name of the workout says it all, original cindy is and AMRAP 20 of 5 kipping pullups, 10 pushups and 15 squats, today I took it one step further and came up with the following.

AMRAP in 20 minutes
5 Switch Grip Pullups
10 Clapping Pushups
15 Jump Squats
Score: 10 Rounds + 5 Rotational Pullups

Light skill work on butterfly pullups, l-sit holds, and free handstand holds.

That was a tough but good workout.  A video of switch grip pullups is below (although the name kind of says it), I've done them before and some people seem to think it's dangerous, I'm not sure why my feet are below me at all times so if I miss the bar I just land on my feet, does a number on my hands though, nearly lost 2 callouses (started with an underhand grip).  It's an exercise I won't make my clients do, just me.  The clapping pushups turned out to be the toughest ones, and broken the most my arms kept giving out.  The jump squats weren't as bad as I thought, overall it got my heart rate right up there and focussed on what I pointed out as my weakness last week, bodyweight movements.  I maybe strung 5 butterfly pullups together, but I really suck at those, l-sits maybe 5 seconds and handstand hold even less, I got to work on skill work like that.

Switch Grip Pullups, the ones I did were strict, no kip allowed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdROS12y6TQ

2 comments:

  1. Holy shit, those pull-ups look like fun! I'd like to give them a try, but - as I'm 11" shorter than you - I have further to fall if I miss the bar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a very tough exercise, I must have loosened the bar as it started twisting under my grip.

    ReplyDelete