Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Upper Body


I actually performed this workout yesterday just forgot to update my blog, tested my elbow a bit more and was a little discouraged that I did feel it, wasn't the limitting factor at all but I knew it was there.  I was able to go to failure on most sets as well but I kept the pre-fatigue method.

Superset
Machine Fly at 90 to max rep pushups..........10-12, 8-10, 8-8, 7-8

Straight Arm Pulldowns into Pulldowns
40x10 and 100x8
40x10 and 100x7
40x10 and 100x6
40x8 and 100x6
Lateral Raises into Military press at 22s..........10-12, 10-10, 10-10, 7-7

The first 2 were ones I had done before, they burned just as much as they have in the past.  The third one I haven't done for a while and it really burns, first time overhead pressing and it was only that one where I felt it in the elbow, albiet it only slightly.  I actually thought I'd miss upper body work more, I really haven't.  Leg training is always mentally tough but it's either focus on that or don't workout nearly as much, I know my workout frequency is cut back (you can only do so much legs) but I've been hitting my legs so much lately that I've actually gained weight, and from looking at myself in the mirror I don't think my upper body has gotten any smaller.  Of course I am still able to do the kind of routines above so it's not like my upper body is untouched.  I was sore as hell from Sundays and Mondays combo, but my workouts being filled with olympic lifts (which is almost all hip, leg and back drive), front squats, back squats, and deadlift variations, when I do go back into a more regular training style my legs won't be a weakness.

2 comments:

  1. I know it's not the same thing, but can't you do upper body work using machines? Wouldn't that offer some stability and take the stress off your arms?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not really about stability, its the slow movements that would bother it the most, whether I am pressing 135 pounds overhead, or pressing 130 pounds overhead on a machine, it'd have the same feel on my elbow.

    ReplyDelete