Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Legs and power


Legs and power today, my back was a little sore from the deads yesterday but front squats should be fine, decided to go heavy for 5 instead of 3.

Front Squats
95x10
115x8
135x5
155x5
175x5
195x5
205x5
215x5

Box Jumps for height
5 at 24 inches (10 risers)
5 at 28 inches (12 risers)
5 at 32 inches (14 risers)
5 at 36 inches (16 risers)
5 at 40 inches (18 risers)
5 at 42 inches (19 risers)

Amazing how much less weight I can handle compared to my 3RM (245), 215 was flipping heavy and I could tell I was done as my form started to falter a bit (elbows dropped).  It felt it good though, hamstring to calf each and every time, then decided to test some box jumps.  I don't think I'll ever go for a true 1RM for height on box jumps unless I am jumping onto something stable, when it gets as high as 42 inches, or 19 risers plus the step the box just isn't stable, so I kept it at more manageable sets of 5.  I was suprised how high I actually got, 46 inches is my pr (21 risers) and that was for 2, 19 risers for 5 was tough mentally but still not too bad.  Good workout!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks, I took Eric's advice and put the step against the wall so it added a little stability to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be worried about tripping and ending up face first into the wall. Perhaps put some mats up against the wall?

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I have failed on the box jumps it's only ever been where a single foot makes it and the other loses the skin on the shin, I have seen people fall backwards and whack there head that's all I really worry about, my shins take it the other beating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll probably have an arm day tomorrow (Thursday) but I might throw in some box jumps for height, too. Placing the steps against the wall is a good idea. Which wall did you use - by Chris's office?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was actually in the aerobics room, but for you I'd use the wall near the water fountain. Don't put it right up against the wall, leave maybe half a foot between, too close and you risk hitting your head when you jump up as usually I try and get my whole foot on the box and tend to lean forwards a bit.

    ReplyDelete