Thursday, October 20, 2011

Olympic Lifting


Today was purely olympic lifting, the first part was gotten from Nate Schrader, one of my favourite crossfit athletes, turned out to be pretty tough, this was followed by a surprising pr.

Clean Complex
1 Power Clean+3 front squats+1 Squat Clean
135
155
175
185
195
205

Split Jerk
135x2
155x2
185x1
195x1
205x1
225x1
235x1 (pr)
245x1 (pr....boo ya!!)

I'll start with the second part, it deserves that boo ya, the last 3 sets I dropped I didn't worry about lowering to my shoulders.  I don't do split jerks that often but they aren't always elbow friendly (for either elbow) I felt these but nothing too bad.  245 is a 15 pound pr, and I was thrilled, I know that if I had professional coach (Mike Burgener) teach me I could do more, I feel fast on these lifts, having said that 245 I am very proud of.  I shattered my goal of 225 overhead, 245 overhead is a massve amount of weight for me and I finally am feeling like more of olympic lifter, being able to put up somewhat appreciable weights.  Coming out of the split stance while the weight is overhead turns out to be a little tough, I didn't lose the weight though and held that 245 overhead for probably more than the 2 seconds I usually go for.  The pros I am no where close too, but there are some that competed at the crossfit games over the years that I am....buut this is only one lift.  The first part I really liked, it was tough, that second squat clean was a lot harder than anticipated.  My max squat clean is 235 and 205 felt about that heavy after the first 2 exercises (mainly front squats), it was different and I enjoyed the challenge.

Below is a video of the clean complex I mentioned performed by Nate Schrader, I performed mine the exact same way he did, cept mine was 90 pounds lighter.

http://vimeo.com/29009729

8 comments:

  1. Do the split jerks include a clean, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. nope, unless it states a clean, it's simply shoulder to overhead, so I backed out of the squat rack with the bar on my shoulders.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_EclYs6MCY

    Spencer Hendel and Malleolo performing a split jerk workout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can try it, split jerks usually mean more weight than push presses (or push jerks for that matter) but they are a high coordination exercise, and till that coordination is right the weight would probably be lower than your push press.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I've been enviously impressed by the heavy weight you've been moving recently. I definitely feel like I need to be pushing myself more on the upper body heavy weight exercises. Happy with my leg progress - except for recent weeks, of course - but my shoulders, back and chest routines need considerable improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even from the beginning you were always further along with leg development than upper body, which honestly for guys is a rare problem to have, most females I have have stronger legs compared to upper body while men are the opposite....the more you go heavy the better you'll be. I'd say throw an extra heavy upper body day into the mix a week, as of now your leg training isn't the same due to your hip, so use this time to up your upper body (I'm currently doing the opposite). Now when I say heavy I mean heavy....no more than 5 reps, no metcons....nothing timed...purely heavy weights.

    Rob Orlando was once asked how he got so strong, his answer was "simple, I lift as heavy shit as possible and as often as possible" and we all know how strong he is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait - you're saying I have a woman's body?! :-)

    I guessed you were going to suggest more heavy days, which makes sense. However, it's the day after my birthday workout with you and my legs are the only part of me that isn't sore. I haven't hurt this bad for months, particularly my lower back! Lifting my sorry ass out of bed was tough enough this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well your legs shouldn't be sore there wasn't much in the way of squatting, deadlifts go from the top of your knee to the base of your neck.

    Soreness won't really indicate progress either, in my strength wods I rarely get sore there isn't much chance of lactic acid buildup when you are only doing up to 5 reps. But the muscle damage is big and the more often you make yuor body do it the more it wants to increase it's strength to make it easier for you.....of course when that happens you just up the weight, we hate our bodies sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was planning on doing a scaled version of your routine from a few weeks ago - http://paulsfitnessblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/olympic-lifting.html. However, my lower back is sore with doms so I might sub hang power cleans instead. I'll see how I feel when I come it. My shoulders are fine now, but my pecs are still sore, which causes Cher no end of amusement when I yawn and cry out in pain. I don't get me no respect.

    ReplyDelete