Thursday, October 6, 2011

Olympic Lifting


Pure awesomeness today, made good use of the new bumper plates.

Power Cleans
135x5
155x3
175x3
185x3
195x3
205x3
215x1
225x0x1

Split Jerk
135x3
155x2
185x2
195x1
205x1
225x1

Pure and utter awesomeness, especially on a day where I had no intention of working out, I just got excited with the new bumper plates so I had to do a workout.  Bumper plates means I can drop it, but for clarification it's not an ego thing (which I predict a lot of people will think).  When I get close to my max, it becomes unsafe with the weights I am using to lower them back to starting position, I risk injuring my shoulder and back.  Secondly, I can safely attempt a max weight, I need the ability to safely fail if I am to attempt a true one rep max, something bumper plates allows.....plus it makes lots of noise :).  225 power clean, fuck ya that's a pr, it says 225x0x1 because I failed the first attempt, but made the second....hells ya.  I was going to stop there but excitement got the best of me again and decided go to heavy on split jerks.  Only the last set did I actually drop the weight as I didn't want to lower 225 back to my shoulders, for me that's where it gets dangerous, even 205 felt iffy, especially since my elbow thingy.  Having said that I did not think I'd get 225, I was incredibly pleased, that hits one of 2011 goals and 225 on power cleans and split jerks has been a goal of mine for what feels like forever, a very proud day for me.

6 comments:

  1. I'm almost tempted to come in and train on my rest day just to try them, but I'll have to be patient!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Regretting this as I type) Any chance of a Fight Gone Bad-style routine with the bumpers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol it's possible, but we could have done fight gone back before getting the bumper plates anyways. Unless you just meant a routine with the same setup, as in 5 exercises at one minute per exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't remember what my score was when we both did FGB a couple of years ago, but it would be interesting to see how I cope with it now. Not sure what to substitute for wall balls, but I'm sure the sumo deadlifts and push presses would feel easier than they did back then. If I do FGB again it would have to be as part of PT session because I wouldn't be able to time myself for 60 second at each station.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We can set that up, and we can do wallballs at our gym also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking about it now, we might need to wait for my hip to be 100% before doing rowing and wall balls.

    ReplyDelete