Friday, May 13, 2011

Conditioning

Zdeno Chara
I must be accident prone, walking in the gym the other day I whacked my shin off a metal edge on one of the pieces of equipment and cut it open.  Just a cut and bruise so no big deal, but any kind of squatting stretched the bruise and cut out that it caused pain.  Because of that, and the stressor of my marathon workout last week, this workout was not timed, just went fast.  Still got my heart rate up, and almost had another accident.

Row 50 Calories (about 900 metres in the end)
50 Overhead Situps - 20 lb med ball
50 Ball Slams - 20 lb med ball
Box jumps for max height
30 inches x10 (13 risers)
34 inches x10 (15 risers)
38 inches x6 (17 risers)
40 inches x5 (18 risers)
42 inchesx5 (19 risers)
44 inchesx3 (20 risers)
46 inchesx2 (21 risers......then they alll came tumbling down)
50 Burpees
50 Alternating Swings - 24 kg (50 per arm)

Wow, close call, I had no intention of going that high but Eric walked in after he saw what I was doing and asked me how high it was.  At that point it was 19 risers, he said his record was 21 for a single, damn I'm not usually a competitive guy but I got curious.  20 risers felt pretty damn good, so he convinced me to try 21.  Jason and Eric were my viewers, I got 1 one rep perfectly, got a "thatta boy" from Jason and a "fuck you" from Eric (he's a tad competitive).  I tried number 2, completed the rep, but at that height the box is so unstable, luckily I felt it wavering and hopped off as it came to a crash, spreading the risers all over the floor.  It did feel good to jump 46 inches though, I think I'll call that my max for now.  The rest was all done fast, good workout but not recommended (damn 46 inches looks like a mountain when you're expected to jump onto it).

5 comments:

  1. For Chrissakes! Don't. Listen. To. Eric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why not....you listen to me lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how was the run this morning, kind of muggy today?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no intention of listening to you if you tell me to jump 46 inches!

    It was muggy when I went for a bike ride at 5:45am, but it started to rain on the way back from McD's and kept raining until after the race, which started at around 9:10am. Other than it being wet, it was pretty good running conditions.

    I finished the 5k race 23rd overall, I was the 20th fastest man, and 11th in my age category (20+, which is pretty broad). My time was 25:51, which is a little slow for me but this is the toughest course I've ever run at that distance. There were a couple of hills, whereas Run for the Cure in October is pretty much all flat. My only tactic was to make sure I kept Liliana in my sight the whole way! I knew she'd get a respectable time so as long as I stuck close(ish) to her I would be fine. She finished 19th and (I think) about 30 seconds faster.

    Not a great time, but it's certainly respectable and I'm happy with it. I beat people who are substantially younger than me, including the editor of the Independent. I think he's a more experienced runner but I don't run very often. The last time I ran was the beginning of April over a distance that I measured roughly as 5k via Google Maps - i.e. not very accurately - in 25:08. The runners today wore ankle bracelets with chips that accurately measured their time.

    It was an interesting course and I'll probably try to be better prepared next year when I do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. heh nice work, the gym was very muggy it always gets bad when it rains outside so you would have been sweating either way.

    ReplyDelete