Friday, February 25, 2011

Conditioning

Myself on over the box jumps
I'll start by saying the above picture surprised me, one day while doing these I was told I was clearing the steps by a long shot, I guess this picture proves it, the height of this is 10 risers plus the step, later in the workout I tested a bit higher.  Also I have no clue why I grabbed my knees in this shot, I don't usually perform this exercise that way.

I wanted to revisit another old routine, my previous time was 15:45, here is how it went.

21-15-9 reps for time of
Hang Squat Cleans (to parallel) - 95
Burpees
Box Jumps - 24 inches
Bench Supported Lateral Hops - 16 inch bench (only count left side)
Time: 14:05

Awesome, happy with improvement, my legs were hating me for this one and my lungs were on fire, which was the same feeling last time, cept being 1 minute and 40 seconds faster makes it feel all the better.  I followed this routine with an interesting test, nothing timed, here's how it went.

Perform 2 over the box jumps (one there, one back) and perform a single burpee, that is all one rep, peform 5 reps.

Set 1 - Height of box - 24 inches, or 10 risers plus step (easy, this is what I'm used to)
Set 2 - Height of box - 28 inches, or 12 risers plus step (once I got the confidence after the first 2 reps I was fine)
Set 3 - Height of box, 32 inches, or 14 risers plus step (I felt a bit nervous here and was convinved this was as high as I'd go, 32 inches is not only my highest over the box jumps, but higher than what I've used for regular box jumps, I had Eric watch one rep and he convinced me to add one more.

The last set I took out the burpees, just so I could focus on the step, it was 15 risers, or 34 inches, I just wanted to try 5 reps.   Rep 1 went good, rep 2 and 3 were technical fails, but not to worry when I said fail I mean I landed on top of the bench (I didn't crash), not on the other side so it wasn't complete.  Reps 4 and 5 were also fine, now I'm tempted to test my max box jump height, hopefully I don't eat the floor one of these days.

7 comments:

  1. Great time on the 21-15-9 routine! That would probably be what I'd get for just the hang squat cleans.

    Perhaps you should try the last part - box jumps/otb jumps with a hockey helmet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, and ya one other guy in the aerobic room asked me if I've ever missed, I said no but there is a first for everything. That thing gets very unstable at 15 risers high.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you sure Eric wasn't just encouraging you to see you go ass over tit? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh almost for sure, cept he left the room so maybe he didn't want to actually witness it. This is a workout you could try as rx'd (part 1 that is), doesnt require any equipment you don't have access too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely thought of that when I first saw it, although I expect I'll be waaaaay slower because of the Hang Squat Cleans. I'm sure I can do them, but I'm bound to need plenty of breaks.

    How do you do an odd number - 21-15-9 - of lateral bench hops? Is this per side? And why did you use a lower height for these, not the 24" risers/step?

    The whole of that first routine seems like a good blend of lifting and conditioning.

    Not sure about the increasing otb jumps, though. I've only just made it up to 8 risers plus step!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No problem, I used the risers for this one, I think for you it's 5 to hit parallel.

    For the lateral bench hops you only count the one side, so technically you are doing 42-30-18 of that one. Good questions about the height on the lateral jumps too, and I have no clue why I used small bench back then, I did today to be consistent but back then I don't remember, it was definately the easier exercise despite being more reps techncially.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where did you set up the 21-15-9? I'll be giving this a try some time this week.

    ReplyDelete