Friday, April 29, 2011

Pulling

Austin Malleolo

Pulling day, wanted to try a new way to make pullups hard, also wanted to do more of a strength workout this time.

Resistance Band Neutral Grip Pullups - 5x5......purple band on all sets

Cable Row - 150 (7, 6, 6, 6, 6)

Romanian Deadlift - 6, 6, 6, 6, 6............135, 165, 185, 185, 185

Drop Set Pullups with a 30 lb dumbbell
4 sets - 5-3, 5-3, 5-3, 5-3

Preacher Curl - 3x10...........50
Hamstring Leg Press - 3x6.......270

I really liked those type of pullups, as you get closer to the bar the resistance gets greater and greater.  These are performed by putting a heavy dumbbell under the pullup bar as an anchor for the resistance band, the other end goes around your neck like a necklace, and just perform regular pullups.  The band is trying to pull you down so it's a much greater effort to try and pull yourself up I liked it.  I hadn't used the v-bar in cable rows for a bit, felt good too.  The RDL's I liked they worked my back and hamstrings well, I maybe could have gone heavier than 185 but wanted to focus on proper form.  The drop set pullups were harder when performed at the end like this, but worked well.  The machine preacher curls is still the only type of curl my wrist will allow for some reason.

6 comments:

  1. Would you recommend that I stay away from Romanian deadlifts because of my back?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard to say, if you can keep good form then they are ok, but with regular deadlifts you are getting similar benefits anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. heh no, in RDL's the weight never touches the floor so the weight you use should be less than conventional.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I scale one of your weighted routines I usually multiply the weight you use by 0.75. Therefore, you're starting RDL weight was 135, making mine between 100 and 105 (it comes to 101.25). Does that sound about right to you? My starting weight with standard deadlifts is 165.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roughly, the 135 was more to get a feel for the weight, I've done sets of 12-15 with that weight before. Start at 115 or so and see how it feels, add weight as necessary, the movement is pretty new to you so treat it as so.

    ReplyDelete