Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Full body

Tommy Europe
First day back to test wrist, kept thing relatively light to see how it all felt, I was pleased with how it went.

Alternate Sets
Pullups - 4xmax reps.....12, 10, 8, 7
Hammer Strength Bench Press - 90(10), 140(10, 10, 10)

Alternate Sets
Front Squats - 6, 6, 6, 6...........135, 155, 175, 195
DB Romanian Deadlift - 6, 6, 6, 6........55s, 65s, 75s, 85s

Alternate Sets
Machine Shoulder Press - 100 (10, 10, 6)
Cable Row - 130 (10, 10, 7)

A few notes worth mentioning first.  The first set of pullups was actually wide grip, but that I could feel so when I switched to regular grip it was pain free, chinups would not have worked.  The hammer strength I could feel but not enough to make me stop, both of those felt like my muscles were making me stop not my wrist.  Front squats I was able to push, 195 I`ve only done for 5 reps, so I actually did more today but I don`t need my wrist for that, the DB RDL I thought would feel because the dumbbells are so heavy but not there either.  Last set was good too, so basically it was only the hammer strength where I felt it.  On the other hand I could clearly tell I hadn`t worked out in the past week, minus the front squat my numbers aren`t as good as they usually are, and I was tired after this, but it felt good to finally do some weights again.

5 comments:

  1. Are alternate sets different from supersets? Do you rest between, say, pull-ups and Hammer Strength Bench Press?

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, glad your wrist is healing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are different, alternate sets are typically for opposing muscle groups, or in this case pushing vs pulling, and yes I would rest between them. Supersets are for the same muscle group and the second exercise is to be performed right away, so it would be like doing a set of bench then immediately a set of pushups, then resting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So alternates are best for days when I'm mixing it up - chest and traps, say - rather than all pushing or all pulling?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exactly, you've done them plenty of times, mainly when ya did chest/trap days and shoulders/lats days.

    ReplyDelete