Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Conditioning

Peter Egyed
Conditioning day, I decied to try a routine I performed a few months ago, back then I did this workout in 23:36 and it killed me, so I am very pleased with the outcome.

4 Rounds for time
25 Burpees
400 Metre Row
Time: 18:56

Isometric Back Extension Holds - 3x30 seconds
Leg Elevated Ab move - 3x10 (per side)

That's almost a 5 minute improvement, which I am very pleased with, after round one I believed I would do better but not that much better.  Both exercises were hard and my shoulders and lungs were burning, happy with result.  I don't know if I'll be able to do back extensions anymore, the pads are right up against my cist on my lower stomach so it's a tad uncomfortable, no worry though there are plenty of other things I can do.  This routine was followed with a nice stretch and a massive bowl of curry chicken with rice.

4 comments:

  1. Great job on the burpees/rowing.

    I've found that the first time I do a metcon - most often this will be when I'm training with you - I'm getting used to the pain and discomfort level. When I do the same routine again on my own I already know what to expect and I find it easier to push through it. That often results in a greatly improved time, even if it's only a week or two later. How do you treat something like this mentally?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean how to treat it mentally after I am done? I take the improved time and use it to motivate me in other workouts, hell even with my clients I think it helps. Sometimes they pick up on my enthusiasm and use that to push themselves harder too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant how do you approach a workout the second time around, given you know how you felt while you were doing it the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohh, sometimes I try to remember where I struggled, in this case it was more the burpees but the row a little too, my breaks were too long. This time I never stopped rowing and for the burpees took one 10 second break at 15 reps, the shorter rest times and the fact that I kept my legs moving I believe accounted for the shorter time. Other times however, all I think about is my old time, I just go as hard as I can.

    ReplyDelete