Monday, January 17, 2011

Pushing


Todays includes barbell bench press, one of the most popular exercises in the gym, yet one that I do the least, not because it bothers my shoulders or anything but because I hate it.  Still good exercise, I didn't go for a true max as I worked out alone and had no spotter

Bench Press - 155(5), 185(3, 3, 3, 3, 3), 155(7)

Single Arm DB Push Press - 3, 3, 2, 2, 2........55, 65, 70, 75, 80

For time
10-1 of dips, with each set followed by 8 pushups
So you perform 10 dips then 8 pushups, 9 dips then 8 pushup, 8 dips then 8 pushups, all the way to 1 for the dips while pushups stay at 8 reps.
Time: 13:30

Single Arm Reverse Grip Cable Pushdown - 3x8.......20 on all sets

This felt like a good workout, the 185 on the bench press was good, not as heavy as I can go, but as heavy as I'd want to go with no spotter.  I was pleased the push presses went as well as they did the heaviest I have ever gone is 85 pounds but that was for a single, this felt like I could have done 85 for a double, maybe I'll try next workout.

2 comments:

  1. If you don't have a spotter for heavy bench presses, can't you do them with pins, like I do? Or do you prefer the bar to touch your chest?

    That dips/push-ups routine looks cool. Might have to steal that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do both, they are very different exercises. Pin Bench Press you start from a dead stop each rep, so it takes out the stretch reflex and focussed purely on the lengthening and contraction of the muscles, plus the ROM is shorter. Regular bench allows full ROM, includes all 3 compoments of a lift (stretch reflex, contraction and muscle lengthening) and also works the chest and shoulder girdle muscles very well. Last week I believe I did pin press, so I wanted to change it up.

    ReplyDelete