Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Heavy

Kendrick Farris
Today was pure and utter awesomeness.  I decided to go for a heavy clean and jerk, and because I didn't say power clean I mean a full squat, here's how it went.

Clean and Jerk (or Squat Clean and Split Jerk)
135x2
155x2
175x2
185x1
205x1
215x1
225x1
235x1
245x1 pr (hells ya!!!)

Snatch Grip Deadlift (reset each time)
135x3
185x3
225x3
255x3
265x3

I am very proud of that lift.  To date my max squat clean is 235 (so a pr there), my max power clean is 230, and my max split jerk is 245 (started in front rack position).  So I was pushing my limits on a few things here, although I have gotten 245 overhead before it's much harder after coming out of a clean, especially a squat clean (at least for me).  I completed 235 which was a pr on this lift, technically my old pr for this exact lift is 200 but that was a while ago and without bumper plates.  I stared at that barbell wondering if I should stop there, or try 240, I remember the advice that as soon as you hit a pr to stop and leave with that feeling, I don't usually but I ignored it this time and went for 245, heavier than I was even going to go for because I knew my maxes from the past.  I wasn't quiet, coming out of the squat was slow, but the jerk I was nervous for, I may have done a pressout but who cares I held that weight overhead proudly.  I should have taken a video but the gym was too busy I didn't want to look arrogant.  Very very happy with that lift.  Throwing snatches into my training means snatch grip deadlifts are a good idea, they are the weakest of my deadlifts (and most) so I am actually happy I got up to 265 for 3 reps while resetting each time, great workout!!

5 comments:

  1. Aw, c'mon - you're taking the piss now! I'll never catch you. Great job on the PR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol never say never, my max clean and press at the beginning was around 100 pounds, technique and strength and power and confidence improved...and I get 245 today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, but you're half my age - you haven't peaked yet! If you were a soccer player, you'd still have another 5 years before you hit your best fitness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did, very cool video he got into the spirit of it, honestly the overhead squats impress me the most. Not only the actual movement itself but how effortlessly he transfers the weight from his shoulder to overhead, looks like what 135 would for me, cept he's 200 pounds plus heavier.

    ReplyDelete