Friday, November 11, 2011

Full Body


Today was an awesome workout, felt good to not really have time contraints.  It was also a fun workout.  The article I read on olympic lifting said to not go for a max weight each time, which I have been doing, back off on the weights and do a bit more repetitions (but not too high).  Today I did that with squat cleans, I also took there advice on exercise selection, they had I think 8 exercises so I picked three of them today, taking out the bench press in favour of pushups.

Squat Cleans (touch and go)
135x3
155x3
175x3
185x3
195x3

Back Squats
135x10
165x10
175x10
185x10
195x10

Pushups - 4xrelative max reps.........25, 25, 20, 15

I really enjoyed doing squat cleans that way, all reps were touch so I never dropped the weight between reps.  Oddly I thought it helped to improve my form a bit, I want to be better at dropping under the bar while it's still low, which in turn would mean a higher clean in the end.  I heard that if you do a movement over and over, whether heavy or light, your body adapts to that movement and it becomes like second nature, sets of 3 isn't light but with the touch and go style it puts me far away from my max.  Having said that I didn't think I could do 195 like that.  I was very happy with the back squats too, 195 is the most I've done for 10 reps with hamstring to calf form.  The pushups say relative because I never went to failure, just close, the first set was farthest from it actually as I can do more than 25.  Overall great workout.!

9 comments:

  1. They always will be, I actually learned I am more doing a olympic back squat, the decription of it can be found here by one of my favourite trainers.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6u_rtRkiig

    ReplyDelete
  2. hah it's youtube, no reading required.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I meant I was too knackered to read that you mentioned hamstring to calf in your original post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just watched the video - isn't this the type of squat I do, too?

    ReplyDelete
  5. in some ways yes, you're depth is all that needs to increase.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BTW, I saw this front squat technique that I'll probably try on Monday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVTkbggmxR0&feature=youtu.be.

    ReplyDelete