Sunday, November 6, 2011

Note

Random post, I was looking more into weightlifting programs today (the original term for olympic lifting) and I noticed that there are some holes in my program, being I have more or less adopted that style of training.  One, I am actually working out too frequently, a lot of programs I found have the athletes training 3 times a week, of course some of my workouts are short but I shoot for 5 workouts a week so it may be getting in the way of my recovery.  Secondly I need to do ab work, with all the posterior chain work this involves it needs to be balanced out with some ab work, so I make a better effort to throw more of that in there too.

The exercises recommended the most; cleans, push jerks, snatches, back and front squats, deadlifts, core work, and I was surprised to see the bench press in a lot of programs.  I shall use this to my advantage, it basically combines weightlifting (fast lifts) with powerlifting (slow lifts) and those athletes are some of the most impressive in the world of strength sports (minus strongman, but I don't have access to that).  Here is a cool article explaining why each are good.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/weightlifting_versus_powerlifting_which_is_right_for_you

6 comments:

  1. Does this mean that you'll be cutting back the number of days you'll be training, or just cutting back on heavy weight days? And do you think I should do the same?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't decided yet, I have very much been enjoying this style of training I am on, I don't worry as much about "beach" muscles like I used to (and I don't think there is anything wrong with worrying about that) so if I decide to continue on this path I need to do it properly. I may not change too much, if anything try to get more exercises in per workout and that would mean doing less sets. For you no I wouldn't change anything, the programs we are both on are a little different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps nice job on joining the 300 pound squat club.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! It's a relief to get the 300lb monkey off my back! :-)

    By the way, if I train with you on Friday - and it's fine if you aren't available - I won't be able to come to the gym until 9:30am (I have to walk Madi to school) but I'm available any time after that. If I don't train with you on Friday, I'll probably rest on Wednesday and train on my own on Friday anyway. I don't like the idea of not doing anything at all on Saturday and Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As it stands now I am booked up after that time on Friday, did you want play it by day, otherwise you can some in and do your own thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll probably come in after I've walked Madi to school - around 9:20ish - and just train on my own. Are you available any time on Monday? I don't have to take Madi to school so any time is good for me.

    ReplyDelete