Monday, September 5, 2011

Legs and Back


I took the whole weekend off, I definately did something to my elbow, my guess is over extended it.  It's mainly sore during and after upper body workout, and then a dull ache of the rest of the day.  I know it was the bench press at 215 the past week too.  So this week I decided to leave out all upper body stuff and probably only do 3 session, but make them hard sessions that don't involve elbow extension or flexion....the elbow is like the knees and hips and back, need to be careful with.  To me it sounds like I'm babying it but I want to make sure it's healed.....man I'm accident prone.

Anywho, today I wanted to try a new technique for strength....it sucked.  You have to get 10 reps each set and time how long the set takes, gradually adding weight each set.  I picked front squats and deadlifts, because last week I did the deads with straps and from the top, today I started from the floor and was strap free.

Front Squats (for time)
135x10 - 31 seconds
155x10 - 48 seconds
175x10 - 1:40
195x10 - 3:14
205x10 - 5:18

Deadlifts (for time)
185x10 - 21 seconds
225x10 - 45 seconds
245x10 - 59 seconds
265x10 - 1:17
285x10 - 1:57

The front squats can just bite me.  The time probably indicates that the first set was unbroken, the set at 155 was done with 6 then 4.  The set at 175 was 5, then 3 and 2.  The set at 195 caught me off guard, 2 sets of 3 and 2 sets of 4.  The last one I knew was going to hurt, 3-2-1-1-1-2, and because the weight was so damn heavy I was forced to rest longer so I didn't fail.  5:18 looks so long for only 10 reps but I knew I was giving it my all.  The deadlifts were only easier because they were faster, my back was hating me a lot.  The first one again was the only unbroken, starting from the floor and not using straps was felt, although they were still touch and go.  285 was a set of 4, then 2 sets of 3, and my back was mad, not in a bad way though.  This was a challenging new style to approach a strength workout, I certainly enjoyed the challenge.  My elbow held up fine, as it should on these 2 exercises, tomorrow I will stretch myself out a lot, but will probably not post it.

6 comments:

  1. I can see you added 20lb each time, but how did you choose which weight to start from, thus setting the heaviest weight in the final round?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked a weight I know I can handle for 10 reps without taking a break. I'm going to try it with power cleans this week if my elbow feels up to it. It's a very challenging new way for a strength workout, in total there was 16 sets of the front squats alone, but some you rest less between sets. I will probably have you try it with some exercise next week, but feel free to try it on your own with an exercise you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way my front squats went yesterday, I might start with an empty bar! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you say you chose a weight you could handle for 10 reps without a break, do you mean in every set, or just the first one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hah look at my sets....I definately do not mean in every round just the first one, no way I can front squat 205 for 10 reps without a break....that set was torture.

    ReplyDelete