Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Legs and Back

Need I say more
Update on elbow, seems to be feeling better as in it's not s achy anymore, but will still keep away from direct elbow style exercises, which is basically all upper body.  I don't really mind as it gives me a chance to up my legs, more preferably my deadlifts.

Continuing from Monday (which left my legs painfully sore), I picked the same 2 exercises just different styles, sumo and back squats.  For so long I never touched deadlifts because I was a pansy and scared of my back, since throwing them back in I've felt great, all the years of neglecting them is probably why they are currently my fastest progressing exercise.  Today was sumo and from the floor, didn't feel like going for max weight so ended with sets of 8, last time I did sumos I got 315 for 3, today was a nice surprise.

Sumo Deadlifts
135x10
185x8
225x8
245x8
265x8
285x8
315x8 (but barely)

Back Squats - 10, 10, 10, 10, 10........135, 145, 155, 165, 175

So, not too long ago I got 315 for 3 reps, today I got 315 for 8 reps.....damn right.  On the set of 285 it felt good, better than I thought, so I made a larger jump for my last set and went right to 3 plates a side (so 315).  I admit I JUST got 8 reps with that weight, but damn was I happy with that.  315 was a goal to deadlift in the new year, I've shattered that goal, maybe I should try for 4 plates a side, or 405 pounds.  The back squats I kept the same as last time I did 5 sets of 10 (which suck by the way).  All hamstring to calf but back squats following any kind of deadlift are painful for the back, so I didn't want to go past what I know I've already done, 175 was still challenging for 10 ass to grass back squats.  Great workout!

Update:  An online calculator said that based of my deadlifts last week when I got 355 for 5 reps, my one rep max is calculated at 399 pounds of that style.......4 plates a side here I come!

7 comments:

  1. couldn't find a picture to support it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well.....one that I would post here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! :-)

    By the way, do you have a link to that online calculator you referred to?

    ReplyDelete
  4. sure do, look at the left and ya just need to enter the weight and how many reps you performed.

    http://exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This abdominal exercise is uncomplicated just lie on the back with the legs inside the air and put your hands underneath the head.

    ReplyDelete