Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Legs


Leg day today, and wanted to try a new but very popular form of back squats.

Speed Front Squats
135x3
155x3
175x3
185x3
195x3

Low Bar Back Squats
135x3
185x3
225x3
245x3
255x3

Speed squats I feel can be useful, last time I did them was with back squats for 5 reps, today opting for 3 reps and using the front squats.  Again I was happy with how the weights went, 195 for 3 fast reps was tough, I can feel it for sure.  Then I tried LBBS for the first time ever, it is said that this style of squat can let you lift the most weight, and I guess 255 for 3 is the most.  It was a bit uncomfortable, that would get better if I do it enough.  In doing it the bar is really low with my elbows pointed behind me and my hips just dropping below parallel.  Opposed to HBBS (or olympic back squats) where the elbows point down, the bar is high on my back and my hamstrings tough my calves.  I'm going to get some pointers on it to make sure I am doing it right, but in the long run I didn;t mind it.

Video of the last set of LBBS can be found on my youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/paul771771?blend=1&ob=0

3 comments:

  1. I found this picture of the suggested grip for LBBS. It looks pretty awkward - how did it feel? I might give this a try tomorrow on my leg day.

    http://stronglifts.com/how-to-squat-with-proper-technique-fix-common-problems/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't try it on your own, if you do want to learn this type of squat I'd wait till Saturday when I can make sure it's right.

    That is close to the position I used, hard to tell in the video though. It wasn't really too bad till the weight got heavier, which is pretty obvious, but then it was a little uncomfortable. But the first time most people do front squats its the same, just need to keep doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fair enough - I'll stick to HBBS for now!

    ReplyDelete