Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Legs


Nothing but squats today, damn these days hurt, many many sets.

Front Squats
135x5
155x3
175x3
195x3
215x3
235x2
245x2
255x1
265x1
275x0

Back Squats
145x10
185x5
195x5
205x5
215x5
225x5

I am very happy I was able to match my old pr, as this is now the heaviest I've gone without the weight plates under my heels, and unless something happens that I can't foresee why they would return.  265 was flipping heavy and slow out of the bottom but completed.  I had planned on stopping there but what the hell, lets try 275....ya didn't work there.  I lowered down till my hamstrings were touching my calves, I raised back up maybe an inch, hah ya it was simply too heavy, maybe next time but I am still pleased with where my front squat is.  The back squats I approached different, after the set at 145 (more of an active warmup) I wanted to go a little heavier.  Heavy back squats scare me more than heavy deadlifts in terms of back health especially for a lifter with my frame, but I swore off deadlifts at one point and I recently hit 405.  So I just need to be smarter about it, and before I was not, today for instance I was more than warmed up properly and made sure my hips rise up at the same time as my shoulders, as soon as it starts to mimic a good morning I stop no arguments.  Well it went great and felt even better (but fucking painful).  225 hamstring to calf for 5 reps, well at least that's more than my front squat for 5 reps, but obviously not as high as it should considering what I can front squat.  I'll keep it at reps of 5 when I decide to do it again, overall great workout and I fear I'll be sore (btw 225 isn't technically my max I am just being cautious with it).

6 comments:

  1. You're front squats are heavier than your back squats? Shee-it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, my 5RM front squat is 215 (as done last Thursday), and 265 is my 1RM for front, I'm not sure what I can do for 1 rep of back squats.

    I read that they are suppose to be 80 to 85 percent lighter than back....which I am closer than for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's the benefit of doing front squats, then, if they generally tend to be lighter than back squats? Why not just go for the heaviest weight possible, i.e. with back squats?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because of the upright position that is forced with front squats (see picture) with ideal form the weight is transfered primarily to the quads. If sets are done with the reps 5 or under, and the weight is resting on the shoulders and not the wrists, then it's quad dominant movement. Plus the bar position means you must have a strong core to stabalize the weight.

    Back squats work the quads too, but also hit the hamstrings, glutes and lower back a lot as well, as you are forced to lean forwards slightly. Because more muscle groups are being activated, and the position of the bar you can/should be able to lift more weight. The picture above on the far right is low bar back squats, I dislike them and usually people say if you are doing deadlifts and have no desire to compete, so stick with high bar back squats.

    It's not just about how much weight you are moving, if that was true I'd never use dumbbells again, as you can always lifts more total weight with a barbell version of the movement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all that detail!

    By the way, remember I won't be training with you on Saturday. I'm available any time on Thursday or any time after 9:30am on Friday. Don't worry if you can't make either - I can just do my own thing. Also, we can do two personal training sessions to make up, if you like. Please text me to let me know what works for you.

    Also, I just read this article about Austin Maleolo on the CF Games' site: "In 2011, though, Austin took his discipline a little too far. When he arrived at the Games, he felt "a bit over trained and mentally burnt out."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read that one the other day actually, I believe it too bc Malleolo was one athlete I would have predicted to win, his strength and bodyweight efficiency made him dangerous but he wasn't in it.

    He's very young too but even people with his athletic abilities can over work themselves.

    ReplyDelete