Monday, June 6, 2011

Conditioning

You better know
Conditioning, and I am feeling really good about this workout.  Inspired my Mikko Salo's latest crossfit video.

10 Rounds, each for time
Around the Block Run - just under 400 metres
Rest 2 minutes between rounds
Times
1:11
1:17
1:17
1:17
1:19
1:18
1:22
1:24
1:20

Son of a bitch, that was not easy at all.  Long time ago I did a workout similar, it was 5 rounds intead of 10, but 400 metre run instead of just under it, nevertheless back then it destroyed me I wanted so badly to quit after the 3rd or 4th round, I finished but was completely wiped.  Back then, almost exactly 2 years ago, I rested 2:30 seconds between also, was 10 pounds lighter, and finished the 5 rounds in a total time of 6:39.  Today, with 30 seconds less rest, at 5 rounds I was at 6:21, less metres, but less rest so who knows, but it's also worth noting that the last 5 rounds totalled 6:44, again less metres, but also less rest and AFTER 5 rounds, that sounds better.  Either way I am pleased I hadn't intended on doing 10 rounds when the workout started but felt good so decided to keep going, at 7 rounds I could hardly stand during the rest periods (which by the end were not long enough) but thought I'd gone that far so I might as well keep going to 10.  Tough workout, but very pleased with result, I will be skipping my next leg day to let my hip heal.

Side note, I did around the block run before in the winter with burpees, and then listed it as just over 400 metres, but the burpees were done in my backyard so I had to run farther, today the runs started and ended on the road.

9 comments:

  1. Was the Mikko video part of the Seal Fit series? I can't find a reference to it on the main site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at this past Saturdays post, just where it says a glimpse at Mikko's training. His was 10 rounds also, but only 90 seconds rest, and he was getting 1:10 to 1:12 each round, well at 5 rounds that's what he said. So much better than me, hell and mine wasn't even the full 400, the damn track at the high school was in use otherwise I would have gone there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your times are pretty consistent; there's only 9 seconds difference between your first and last run. I'd like to try this myself, but not sure when. My conditioning day is typically Thursday, and I'm sure my legs won't have recovered from Tuesday's training.

    I just watched Mikko's video. He has a strange, tense running style, even in the earlier rounds. Still, it clearly works for him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My thoughts exactly, I was told to never make a fist, relax my shoulders and just go easy, even on the 7km run in 2009 he ran with that same style, buut it's been said only Speal can outrun him so who am I to judge.

    The last run I sprinted and collapsed, the biggest difference 13 seconds but still not too bad. Where would you? I actually feel sore legs doesn't slow down my running, it may affect burpees or box jumps, but running for me is more about my lungs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry suppose to ask "Where would you go" As in where would you do this workout?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember a couple of summers ago you used to email me midweek training routines to do outdoors, some of which included a 400m street run. There was a website you sent me for mapping out running routes and distances, but I can't remember the address. I had a free account on there with map routes stored, but I've deleted the bookmark. Can you remember what it was called?

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way, I think you have the clock on your blog set 3 hours early. I just posted at 7:07am, but it shows up at 4:07!

    ReplyDelete
  8. runningmap.com, I do remember that you've actually done the 400 metre run workout I referenced to above, the 5 rounds one. The 400 metres on that site weren't entirely accurate though, best bet is to drive it.

    ReplyDelete