Sunday, June 8, 2014

Post Surgery and workout

Fitting first picture
So I'm back, and man am I glad to be back.  A little back story, I had surgery to repair a hernia in my groin, while it didn't affect too much during my workouts as I had it for years, it did on the rare occasion cause pain.....and when it did it left me barely able to move.  I figured time to get it removed, knowing that the next 6 weeks was going to be torture, as no weight training was permitted.  As most will say, I'm a difficult patient, but I did a decent job of listening to my body, if something hurt, I simply didn't do it.  I slowly got into weight training, even before the 6 week mark, but if I felt the incision in any way I stopped.  Oddly back squats felt great, so my first back squat workout was 95 pounds for 3 sets of 20, I only went so high on the reps so it'd be somewhat of a challenge.  My legs were agonizingly sore, and I loved it.  The next few workouts were again, very low key so I didn't bother to post, the most notables were 205 back squats for 10 reps, 95 thrusters for 3 sets of 10, and some cable work.  I figured I'd finally start posting my workouts again.  The weights will be slow, as even though I am past the 6 week mark, that's a lot of time to take off of weights and I'm not going to assume my strength is identical.  Any explosive movements, like the olympic lifts, may be on hold for a bit.  I also noticed I lost some mobility, my hips were very tight, so I spent a good amount of time on mobility.

I decided to try deadlifts for the first time

Deadlifts (touch and go)
115x10
205x10
205x10
205x7

Incline DB bench Press - 3x15.....50s

Cable Row
22x10
24x10
26x10

Pushdown - 52.5x15, 15, 12

Cable Curls - 10x12, 10, 10

The deadlifts felt good, I am nervous everytime I pick up something remotely heavy now, but that's mostly because going through this again is unthinkable.  I did a double overhand this time as well, so it was my grip that failed me on the last set.  I can say, however, that my muscle all around my shoulder blades are very sore as I am typing this the day after.  Rest of workout felt good!  Feels amazing to be back!

1 comment: